Backflow prevention assemblies being mechanical devices are no different than any other mechanical device that’s used on a regular basis. There are many factors that come into play when trying to determine the lifespan of the backflow assembly or the mean time between failures rate.
Some factors are:
- How and where the unit was installed, was the plumbing supply system kept free and clean of debris before the backflow prevention assembly was installed?
- Was there a strainer installed before the assembly to catch incidental debris?
- Was the assembly subjected to very fast opening and closings due to the use of solenoid valves as are commonly used in irrigation systems and certain plant operational systems which create back pressure?
- What’s the makeup of the water supply itself?
Different water treatment chemistry affects the rubber components within the unit differently such as Chloramines etc. It all has to do with the raw water supply and the necessary steps needed to treat the water to meet safe drinking water standards.
- Is the location of the backflow prevention device subject to frequent periods of submersion, which greatly contribute to the relatively rapid deterioration of the shut-off valve handles eventually making the handles themselves unusable?
While these are just a small sampling of points that contribute to the failure of backflow prevention devices, most devices can be repaired to bring them back to their original factory internal test certification values.
Carolina Backflow Specialties, Inc. uses only factory-authorized repair components because we rely on the components to do their job. This enables us to fully stand behind our work to give you every assurance of quality from beginning to end.
Part of the backflow repair assurance process is our commitment to innovation. We’ve developed very innovative methods and procedures to get an early look into the repair process at every step of the repair process, not just at the end, but at every step. Development, innovation, and forward-thinking separate us from our competitors.
When we have a failure on your backflow prevention device, we will always communicate clearly as to what the problem is, and what the repair should be to bring the unit back to its original factory internal test certification values.
Our experience and professionalism speak for itself. You can rest assured that we can be trusted to get the repair done right the first time and clearly communicate our findings to you, our valued customer.